Our favourite Chinese chicken wings are dry, garlicky and salty. Paired this week with a favourite movie or two (Farewell My Concubine, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Raise the Red Lantern), these aromatic wings sound like a perfect treat.
SPICY CHINESE FIVE-SPICE RUBBED CHICKEN WINGS WITH CREAMY CILANTRO DIPPING SAUCE
40 chicken wing pieces or 20 whole chicken wings
2 tbsp. Chinese five-spice powder (available at grocery or Asian specialty food stores)
3 tsp. cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce
What you’ll need for Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce:
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup yogurt
1/2 lemon, juiced
Kosher or regular salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions for Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce:
1. Combine ingredients in mixing bowl, and whisk.
2. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Directions for Wings:
1. Preheat your oven to 500°.
2. If you have whole chicken wings, cut off wingtips and cut the wings in half at the joint. Discard wingtips or freeze to make stock at a later time.
3. Place the wings in a large bowl. Sprinkle five-spice powder and cayenne on the wings, add a few pinches of salt and about 15 grinds of black pepper.
4. Rub the mixture into all the wings until no extra loose rub remains. Wash your hands.
5. Line the wing pieces up on a baking sheet so the side of the wing that has the most skin is facing up. Roast until cooked through, browned and crispy, about 25 minutes. Serve hot with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce.