What. The. Eff. Is. Prune. Whip?
The WASPy among us will feel some familiarity with this beige concoction. The rest? Well, it will take some convincing.
When I saw my Pieathalon assignment, I felt instant familiarity: my childhood Charlie Brown lunchbox cookbook had a recipe for prune whip. I knew what I was in for.
But although Betty Crocker circa 1975 had a hand in this version (hello miniature marshmallows and instant coffee) I was nervous.
And I’ll be honest, one look at this refrigerator pie and my hubby recoiled.
For the record, the recipe ticks the vintage boxes: prune whip is indeed a thing, although typically a meringue-type mix with egg whites. Betty Crocker has no time for that fussiness: just cook up those mini marshmallows and let’s get this thing in the fridge.
I did like the coffee flavour, but it was sickly sweet. The cinnamon pie pastry was a nice treat though, and smelled heavenly.
Laughably, there is no way to dress up this prune pie: it is what it is – a harbinger of what’s coming from your intestines.
But don’t let us put you off the retro pie train: check out these amazing bloggers!
- The Velveteen Lounge Kitsch-en experimented with Swiss Pie With Hot Dogs!
- Pizza Peach Pie brought to us by Mandee at Vintage Recipe Cards
- Saucy Cherie whipped up Prune Whip Pie
- Our old friend Dr. Bobb of Dr. Bobb’s Kitschen brings us Mincey Peach Pie!
- Pasta Cheese Pie is the dish of the day at Yesterday’s Menus
- Ashley over at A Pinch of Vintage made Pecan Pie (I think with ketchup in it…?)
- There’s Blueberry Cream Pie over at Bittersweet Susie
- The BattenburgBelle tried French Onion Pie
- Kelli’s Kitchen baked a White Christmas Pie
- Retro Recipe Attempts attempted Steak & Mushroom Pie
- Taryn Retro Food For Modern Times traveled to Belgium for Belgian Onion Pie
- Jenny made a Magic Cream Pie over at Silver Screen Suppers
- There’s a Cottage Cheese Apple Pie in Clara’s Heritage Recipe Box
- Poppy of Grannie Pantries offers a Brandy Alexander Pie
- A Book of Cookrye serves up the mysteriously named Gowanda Pie
- RetroRuth at The Mid-Century Menu tried out a Cheese Pie
- Sarah at Directionally Challenged Cooking baked a Fiesta Almond Peach Pie